RLJE International Ltd trading as Acorn DVD (hereafter referred to as “Acorn DVD”/”we”/”us”) is committed to respecting your privacy and recognising your need for appropriate protection and management of personally identifiable information you share with us while making use of our website www.acorndvd.com (the “Website”).
The phrases "personally identifiable information" or "personal information" mean any information by which you can be identified, such as your name, address, telephone number, etc...
The purpose of this policy (together with our Terms and Conditions is to inform you what personally identifiable information or personal information we may collect from you when you visit the Website, how we use such information, and the choices you have regarding our use of, and your ability to review and correct, the information. This policy applies only to users accessing the Website from the United Kingdom.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting www.acorndvd.com, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
As a part of our commitment to your privacy, Acorn DVD supports and adheres to the guidelines and practices in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998). We have agreed to
(1) provide customers with notice of their ability to opt out of information rental, sale or exchange with other marketers;
(2) honor customers' requests not to share their information with other marketers; and
(3) honor customers' requests not to receive mail, telephone or other solicitations from Acorn.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is RLJE International Ltd trading as Acorn DVD of 55 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5SQ.
Collecting Information About You.
In general, you can visit many of the Website pages without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. We may track the Internet domain address from which people visit us and analyse this data for trends and statistics, but individual users will remain anonymous, unless you voluntarily tell us who you are.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on the Website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, register to receive catalogs, search for a product, place an order on the Website, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, shipping/billing address, e-mail address, telephone number, financial and credit card information, birth date, gender, occupation, personal interests, etc.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to the Website we may automatically collect the following information:
Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number:
A record of your online product purchases.
Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Using Information About You.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us (including confirming and tracking your order and for subscription or registration purposes);
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data or email us at email@example.com
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to enhance and personalise your shopping experience with us;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may us this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Although unlikely, in certain instances we may disclose your personally identifiable information when we have reason to believe that it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to you, to Acorn or to others. Acorn may also disclose your personally identifiable information when we believe the law requires it.
Disclosure of Information About You.
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site. We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Acorn DVD or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Acorn DVD, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Editing, Updating, Correcting and Deleting Information About You.
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. If you prefer not to receive information from us or from our Select Partners please let us know by calling us at 0333 123 2312 or by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your email address, full name, and specifically what information you do not want to receive.
If you would like to update or correct your email address, street address or other personal information with us please contact us the same way.
Please note that sometimes these requests may take up to 6-8 weeks to be effective, particularly if we are removing your name from postal mailings. In addition, when you purchase from us online or through our catalogues we may need to contact you via phone, email or mail to address questions specific to your order, even if you have opted to not receive communications.
Please remember, if you delete certain information you may not be able to continue to purchase products or access other portions of our web site without entering additional information.
We at Acorn DVD take special care to protect the safety and privacy of children. The Website is a general audience website. We do not permit children under the age of 18 to purchase products on the Website nor do we permit anyone under the age of 18 to register with us. We also do not send email correspondence to anyone who tells us that they are under the age of 18. Children under the age of 18 should always ask their parents or guardians for permission before providing any personal information to anyone online. We urge parents and guardians to participate in their children's online activities and use parental control or other web filtering technology to supervise children's access to the web.
Where We Store Information About You
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. Acorn DVD will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. We use sophisticated encryption and authentication tools to protect the security of your personal information that you share with us. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from the Website, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent any unauthorised access.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We urge you to keep your password in a safe place and not to divulge it to anyone. Also remember to sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit on the Website. This is to ensure that others cannot access your account, especially if you are sharing a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place such as a library or Internet cafe.
Links to Third Party Sites.
Access to Information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Any changes (in whole or in part) we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to the policy The changes to the policy will go into effect on the date posted in the notice. The new policy will apply to all current and past users of the Website and will replace any prior policies which are inconsistent. Your Feedback.
Or by mail: Acorn DVD, 55 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5SQ